The Advantages of a Pre Employment Medical ExaminationJune 28, 2016
The importance of screening all employees for physical and mental health can’t be overlooked. There have been times when not screening all newly appointed employees has raised a great many problems. The most common complaint has been that these people should not have been placed in certain positions at all.
A common example would be hiring people for strenuous work. The first impression which most people give is of good health. If there doesn’t seem to be a problem with the way a person looks, doesn’t necessarily mean that they are in the best of health. A local company had to face a lawsuit when a newly appointed employee complained of back problems as a result of stacking heavy loads.
What the employers didn’t know was that person already suffered from a few back problems and these were further aggravated because he had to carry the heavy loads.
The lesson to be learned here for all employers is to get a pre employment medical examination for all candidates who they might want to hire.
The following are a few advantages of getting a pre employment medical examination done.
- Help screen candidates who are high risk. This way you can be assured that you hire individuals who won’t present any problems like taking days off.
- To assess whether a candidate is physically fit to perform a job or not.
- Be able to come up with data regarding past illnesses.
Kind of Pre employment Medical Tests
The following are some pointers to consider when carrying out a MelbOccHealth.com.au pre employment medical test:
- A complete physical fitness examination which is carried out by physiotherapists.
- Auditory and visual examinations to rule out hearing and sight related problems.
- Screening for drug use
- Pathological tests
The Process for Medical Checks
All employees going through the pre employment medical checks would go through the following process
- A detailed medical history which involves inquiries about past health problems would be conducted.
- Employees have to answer questions regarding allergies to certain chemicals
- A routine urine analysis to screen for any drug or substance abuse
- Blood pressure and weight checks.
- A detailed physical examination is carried out as well
- The doctors then prepare a complete report in which all the details are mentioned regarding an employee’s physical fitness
- The report is submitted in about 24 hours unless there is a need for further testing.
Specialized Medical Testing
Since each company has a different kind of work ethic there are specific testing techniques which can help screen out high risk candidates
- Auditory tests.
- Spriometry tests to rule out lung problems.
Choosing the Right Medical Assessment Company
For those employers who are looking for a reliable medical assessment for their employees are doing a great job. The following are a few reasons why hiring them is a great idea
- All requested tests are completed within a specific time period.
- The paper work is in order
- All results are emailed or faxed at their earliest
- You are provided with complete details and past medical history as well